Thursday, April 06, 2006

can I see you in the bathroom tonight?












Last night over to the Hammersmith Palais to see Graham Coxon.
It was odd to be at the Palais, as the last time I was there I was competing in the Ceroc Championships nearly two years ago. It has to be said that last night the demographic was distinctly different, the noticable lack of black lycra and sequins being a major indicator. I hooted a bit about how the DJ booth wasn't normally a bar and Miss Forever mentioned that the floor was perhaps a little sticky for a double spin.

I felt everso slightly as though I was in the credits for 'Never Mind the Buzzcocks'. Most of the other people there seemed to be boys. Tall boys. We had a short and cheery conversation with the very tall bloke in front of us about how tall the very very tall bloke in front of him was, and he reassured me that when it started then everything would 'loosen up'. It being a very long time since I last went to a gig I was slightly nervous about precisely what was going to loosen.

Once Coxon started loosening became apparent as the crowd good-naturedly shoved and jumped. I managed to stay at the edge and tap my feet in a sedate manner apropriate to a woman of my age and community standing; until 'Spectacular', at which point I embraced my inner teenager and joined in. Reader; I was overtook with excitement. Fortunately for myself and my excitement the moshing (is it still called moshing?) pushed me forwards until I was squished up against someone who was squished up against the barrier at the front, with someone squished up against me. Strangely comforting it was, and largely responsible for the achyness today, I fear.

I am a latecomer to the genre which is Graham Coxon. Basically I fell in love with the CD 'Happiness in Magazines' after hearing the 'Bittersweet Bundle of Misery' on the radio. As it happens he fits right into my slight obsession with self-depreciating British songwriters, but it's a parallel drawn in retrospect. I just remember listening to the CD and enjoying the multiple musical influences which for me created something new. When in January I was making a list of 'stuff I want to do' the single from the new CD was getting airplay and I decided it would be a Good Thing to see him live. I was not wrong. It was a Very Good Thing. A thing of great excitement and happiness. I am now compiling a list of other people I want to see live and contemplating stalking coffee shops in Camden in case Mr C fancies a latte.



|