Thursday, September 27, 2007

in which I blow my own trumpet

I am pleased with myself. I have just heard that I passed all of my level 2 BSL (British Sign Language) exams, something which at one point I seriously doubted I was capable of. I almost left the course on several occasions, the lowest of which involved my sign language teacher chasing me down the road and stopping my car. Not one of my prouder moments. In the end, the hard work has been worth it, and I realised a week or so ago that not only can I talk to the deaf children in school, I also understand them when they talk to me to. Passing the exam is the icing on the cake. Bizarrely, it was the exams themselves which pushed my confidence up to the level where I don't panic appallingly whenever someone waves their hands in front of me. That and the fact that several friends have been extremely supportive. Especially Brummie Girl. Thank you Brummie Girl.

Tomorrow I'm going to Bromley Deaf Club. It's time to take the theory out of the classroom and into the adult world. Yikes.

Labels: , ,

|